What is an strace?
Strace is an abbreviation for "system trace", and is a useful Linux tool that logs data about processes that exist on the server & how they interact with the Linux kernel.
How do I perform an strace?
- Open an SSH session into your server in one window.
- Open your Posit GUI in another window.
- In the Posit window, open an R session for the affected user and type
Sys.getpid()to get the process ID of the R session.
- Get the Posit GUI window ready to perform the action that is causing the initial issue.
- In the SSH session, run the following command, where
$PIDis the Process ID from the second step:
strace -fttT -p $PID -o /tmp/posit-trace-$PID.log
- Immediately click back to the Posit window and perform the action which causes the issue.
- After it has been completed, click back to the SSH window and press
Ctrl+Cto end the trace.
- Zip & Send us the